About me...

Hello, my name is Matt Cline. I am twenty years old and I attend the University of South Alabama. I am currently a sophomore and major in Physical Education; teaching and coaching. Throughout my college education, I have learned several different teaching tools I hope to use myself as a teacher and basketball coach. These teaching tools include character, head fake, igoogle, podcasts, and blogs.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Character

To me, the most important tool a person can have is good character. Character is described by dictionary.com as being " the aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature of some person or thing". I realized the importance of good character throughout my high school years, and my experience with high school and college basketball has increased my strong feelings of how integral it is. John Wooden, arguably the greatest coach in sports history, has said " Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are". I first read that in one of his books about a year ago and it has stuck with me since. I believe students and student-athletes need to realize that it really doesn't matter what others think about you, as long as you know for yourself that you are doing the right thing. Examples of students in character challenging circumstances could be: whether a student does his homework all by himself even though its tough material; not cheating on a test when a teacher is not looking; returning the $5 bill you saw a classmate drop at recess; or working on your jump shot all by yourself in the gym on a Friday night. If adolescents learn to do these types of gestures without feeling the need to brag about it, they have learned what character is all about. In learning good character, they have learned to lead a better life...

No comments: